SGI Indy - HAL2 digital audio

Hello all,

I am having some trouble figuring out how to enable digital audio
output on my R5000 Indy running Debian Squeeze (2.6.32 kernel).

The HAL2 module is loaded and I can get analog audio from the
headphone jack fine. The problem is that when I try the digital audio
out jack, I hear the boot tune (hooray!) but then once the system is
up I only get audio from the internal speaker.

aplay -l gives me the following:

card 0: Audio [SGI HAL2 Audio], device 0: SGI HAL2 Audio [SGI HAL2]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

cat /proc/asound/devices gives me:

  0: [ 0]   : control
 16: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
 24: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
 33:        : timer

aplay hw:0,0 test.wav   plays audio ... but from the internal speaker (!)

Perhaps as a first step, can someone confirm whether pcm digital audio
is working on the HAL2?

Many thanks for any pointers!

Tom