Re: UPDATE installing Debian on Cobalt Qube 2

--- On Mon, 28/9/09, Markus Schröder <m.schroeder@automaten-produkte-service.de> wrote:

> But then i noticed that lenny seems to die slowly. In the
> beginning the clock will die after 10 or 15 minutes, i
> noticed that when the LCD-display on the back stopped. So i
> logged on over SSH and tried "date" on the command line to
> see if its a problem with the LCD or the system clock, but
> the system time was all the same the 5 or 6 times i tried
> this. Then i opened a 2nd SSH session to see what processes
> are running, worked without problems. When i switched back a
> few minutes later to the 1st opened SSH session, it won't
> accept any input, and "top" on the 2nd session died not much
> later, too.

That's exactly what I saw here, although I'd rather lenny work it is nice to hear someone else saw the same behaviour - I was beginning to think I was loosing it. My observations are here if you're interested:

http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-mips@lists.debian.org/msg07679.html

> In the end, i installed etch and it seems to run stable for
> the whole sunday at all. But there are some changes to be
> done like installing the NTP-server, apache2 and so on. I
> hope it will run stable after this, too. Other thing is, the
> green bar in front of the qube doesn't flicker anymore when
> there is activity on the HD using etch.

Yeah the flashy green bar appeared in lenny.

Personally I couldn't even get on with etch, everything setup like a dream as you'd expect from debian, however whenever I tried to compile anything substantial (postgres sources) it'd almost always die half way through.

> If i got some spare time within the next days i'll plug an
> old HD to the qube and install lenny again to see what
> happens.

Perhaps the debian-mips people need a qube2 for testing...