Kernel hangs on bootup on a mips based board

Hi all
        I am working on a mips based broadcom system.I have cross-compiled
the Linux 2.6.25 vanilla kernel for the mips architecture and downloaded the
image onto the board.On bootup the kernel just simply hangs,without giving
any information.Could anyone please tell me as what might cause the kernel
to hang like this?I have enabled 'early_printk' and broadcom serial driver
in 'make menuconfig'.I personally feel that the control is not entering into
start_kernel() present in init/main.c file.Is there any way to figure out
whether control comes into 'start_kernel()' or not?

Thanks and Regards
Ananth