Re: ABI choice for MIPS on debian lenny?

Laurent GUERBY <laurent@guerby.net> writes:

Hi,

> Looks like on lenny userspace binaries are compiled for MIPS-I whereas
> on Mandriva (gdium) there are MIPS-III. I'll do some testing when
> I get my 4.4 tri-ABI compiler working, thanks for the hint.

On Mandriva, we're supporting only ST LS2E and LS2F so we can enable
stuff leading to performance gains, even if it's not valid for other
mips cpus.

>> > do you know why it is not used by default?
>>
>> I think only irix is using it by default :)
>> As regards linux, imho, nobody's using it due to the amount of bugs
>> hidden waiting for a fix (this is a guess, maybe there are better
>> reason).
>
> Do you know of specific GCC open PR against n32? GCC bugzilla search
> for target mips returns only 30 PR most of them are not wrong code.

I was also thinking about issues with other stuff like n32 kernel compat
stuff. Taking into account that the 32bit compat mips kernel hooks need
some love, I assume it's the same for n32 on 64bit kernel. Also, there
are software with mips assembly in them [ JIT compilers ].
You may also hit some alignment issues like when using -march=mips3 on
o32.

>> > Is it unsupported on some hardware?
>>
>> iirc you need mips3 or newer ISA. I'm not sure that there are 64bit
>> mips not fitting in this category.
>
> May be debian is targeting hardware < mips3?

I can't talk for Debian Mips people, but I think you're right.

Arnaud