Re: network lockdown on mips build daemons

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Julien BLACHE <jblache@debian.org> wrote:
>> Can anyone please tell me what is and is not allowed, as far as
>> network access, on the mips buildds, and how the failure appears to a
>> program that tries to do something forbidden, or best of all, suggest
>
> No network access/usage is allowed during package build, be it on the
> buildd or anywhere else. Rule of thumb.

I would rather not disable the network-server tests altogether.
Running the test suite on Debian's buildds is essentially the only way
either I or upstream can test the program on architectures other than
x86/amd64, and it's not a useful program if its networking code is
broken.  The network activity in the testsuite is strictly on the
loopback interface, which I personally think should be allowed in
general.  There *is* an upstream plan to do these tests over a Unix
domain socket, but that's not happening soon (they have to replace
their network library first) -- and depending on what's been done to
the buildd, that might not even help.

In addition, I am trying to avoid debugging by upload, so it would be
nice if I could know what was done to the buildds so I could duplicate
it on my own machine for testing!

zw