Re: MIPS port maintenance (debian-installer, kernel)

Martin Michlmayr schrieb:
> * Thorsten Zieleit <thorsten.zieleit@ceelight.de> [2008-03-17 22:50]:
>
>>> Please take the installer from etch, replace the kernel with
>>> http://merkel.debian.org/~tbm/tmp/vmlinux-2.6.18-6-r5k-cobalt and let
>>> me know whether it works.
>>>

>> Today came the RaQ1 with 64MB RAM and 10GB HD.
>>
>> I installed Debian with the kernel above (also changed the default.colo
>> to point to the new kernel). Installation (on serial console) - no problem.
>>
>> After installation and reboot the last thing I see in the serial console
>> (screen /dev/ttyS0 115200) is:
>>

> The kernel above has support for the serial console on the RaQ1
> whereas the kernel in the archive doesn't.  So what you're seeing is
> expected.  You could take out the hard drive, connect it to another
> machine and replace the kernel file on the disk with the one above.
> Alternatively, you could do another installation and before the
> installer restarts, you could open a shell, chroot into the system and
> install openssh-server.

Stupid me. ;) OK understood. The installer loads the "old" kernel from
the net and doesn't use the one of /nfsroot.

I took out the HD and overwrite the kernel with above and it works now:

raqian1:~# uptime
 21:55:06 up 2 min,  2 users,  load average: 0.33, 0.33, 0.14
raqian1:~# uname -a
Linux raqian1 2.6.18-6-r5k-cobalt #1 Mon Feb 25 19:30:05 UTC 2008 mips
GNU/Linux
raqian1:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
system type             : Cobalt RaQ
processor               : 0
cpu model               : Nevada V1.0  FPU V1.0
BogoMIPS                : 148.99
wait instruction        : yes
microsecond timers      : yes
tlb_entries             : 48
extra interrupt vector  : yes
hardware watchpoint     : no
ASEs implemented        :
VCED exceptions         : not available
VCEI exceptions         : not available

Please let me know if I should do some tests for you. Do you think I
should test the 2.6.25 on the RaQ1? (How can I do this?)
And thanks for your efforts and all the good work!

Cheers
Thorsten