Re: Buildd backlog and testing transition.

Thiemo Seufer wrote:
Charles Plessy wrote:
Le Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 10:40:57AM +0100, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt a écrit :
Due to kernel problems, the mips* buildds haven't been very reliable in
the past few weeks, creating a loooong backlog of packages that need to
be built. As there seems to be a workaround for the kernel bug, this
should start getting better from the weekend on. As a maintainer: Just
wait.
Dear Marc,

it is good news to read that there is a solution being found. However, I
am a bit confused because previous messages were suggesting that the
problem was disk speed, not downtime.

The problem is a compound of
1) Not enough RAM (only 512 MB) in some machines, which causes an
   increasing number of package builds to use swap, and some of them
   to evenutually fail to build because of a timeout.
I will confirm that this is happening to me as well on a Lemote Fulong. Very long builds of packages such as kdebase fail if there are any builds prior to it that take up a bit of RAM. Good to see that there are others seeing this problem as well and it isn't just me. In my case, I have 1gb of RAM in the system, but even this does not seem to be enough to cover the full problem. 2gb may be the answer, but it will still fill up after a while. It would be nice to simply fix the problem instead of throwing hardware at it. :)