Re: network lockdown on mips build daemons

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Julien BLACHE <jblache@debian.org> wrote:
> "Zack Weinberg" <zackw@panix.com> wrote:
[...]
>> The network activity in the testsuite is strictly on the
>> loopback interface, which I personally think should be allowed
>
> Hmm. I'm pretty sure this has been discussed in the past, though I
> can't remember in which thread this was nor the outcome of the
> discussion.

I can only find this:

-- which is inconclusive, but seems to be heading in the direction
that network-dependent tests are ok as long as the build doesn't fail
if the network is unavailable.  Which is what I would like to do, if I
had a sane way to determine whether network tests can be run.

The thread does point out some potential problems with use of
localhost (and I reiterate that upstream is working to reduce the
requirement to Unix domain sockets only).

zw