Resetting wl-500gp nvram from debian

Hello,

I've installed etch on an asus wl-500g premium following this guide
[1]. Everything works fine but now I want to update the kernel (to add
more modules) so I've recompiled it (of cource openwrt's kernel). Now
I've a big problem: from the recovery state (power led flashing) my
router doesn't respond. I've tried severals ips, but none worked.
Connection goes timeout.

My pc's ip is 192.168.1.2, and the router *should* be 192.168.1.1, but
no way to get it working. I can't even ping it.

If I plug the external usb hd etch boots fine, so here's the
question: is it possible to reset the nvram with the original config
(which has ip 192.168.1.1) from debian? Or is it possible to flash a
new kernel from debian? I'd like to solve this problem _without_
opening the router (it's 7 days old).

Any hints?

Thank you and bye.
InSa