Re: QL-Swig failed again on mips

Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> MIPSers,
>
> I have an open FTBFS [1] again quantlib-swig, and I don't understand it.  The
> package builds fine on a number of architectures, used to build on mips too,
> has not changed its build instructions but now fails. For the newest from
> today see [2]. Older logs are at [3] and we see that this started with QL
> 0.3.14.  Is there anything different that mips requires from QL?
>
> Upstream, CC'ed here, is also out of ideas.

The thing is mips/mipsel and some other architectures are compiled with -O0.
The resulting object file has quite a bit more than "a single C++ call", it
is half a million symbols, with e.g. about ~64000 exception handler frames.

The MIPS toolchain has a limitation on the number of symbols which triggers
here.

I removed the specialcase for mips/mipsel, and retried with version 0.8.0
of the package (the old one doesn't build from unstable anymore). This gets
me back to:

/usr/include/unistd.h:270: error: declaration of 'int eaccess(const char*, int) throw ()' throws different exceptions

which is a soon-to-be fixed bug in libc. I believe the specialcase for MIPS
was introduced back when the buildds were too memory limited. Since the
system I tested on (a bcm91250a with 1GB RAM) is the same hardware as our
current mips/mipsel buildds I believe it is safe to remove the special
handling (it might need to stay for arm/m68k, though).

Thiemo