Re: Renaming eth0 on SGI O2

Giuseppe Sacco wrote:
> Hi all,
> now that my SGI uses two network cards, I tried to rename them as eth100
> and eth10 changing the file /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules
> as I usually do on other machines.
>
> The problem is that the pci network adapter interface have been
> correctly renamed, while the internal SGI MACE eth0 doesn't.
>
> Is this even possible? Should I report a bug against what package?
>
> Thanks,
> Giuseppe

I seem to recall a patch being applied to the upstream Linux/MIPS kernel
that forces mace to become "eth0".  Have a look at gitweb on
<http://www.linux-mips.org/>, the patch will be somewhere on that site
("MACE" should be a good keyword to try).  In order to allow renaming,
this patch has to be reversed.

The point of this patch is to facilitate netbooting, the logic was that
since the PROM can only talk to MACE for netbooting, the kernel should
ensure that eth0 is always MACE.  Thus removing the need to swap
ethernet cables over.

Regards,
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter)              .'''.
Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs Developer  '.'` :

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.