Re: Install on an Octane

Mike Martin wrote:
> I'm (still) trying to install Debian on an SGI Octane. Unfortunately,
> I can't Netboot. I can however boot using Gentoo's Live X-RC6 disk.

Netbooting an Octane works quite well, altough it needs to boot
into a nfsroot. The live

> I need help using this to install Debian.
>
> I've tried following the instructions for using debootstrap manually,
> however I can't properly unpack the archive. The problem is that the
> system is running from a Live CD and thus most of the tree (/usr,
> /bin, /sbin, /opt, /lib, /boot) is symlinked to a read-only
> filesystem. Is there any way to unpack the archive somewhere else
> (/tmp?) and still have it function?

Basically:

mkdir /target
fdisk /dev/sda
# Create partitions for / and swap, do _not_ place /boot on a separate
# partition, make sure the DVH header has enough space for several kernels
mke2fs -j /dev/sda1
mkswap /dev/sda2
mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /target
debootstrap sarge /target
chroot /target
# Customize /etc/inittab, /etc/fstab, /etc/network/... to fit your system
umount /target
# Adjust the arcload configuration taken from the live CD to boot from disk.
# Copy the arcload binary, configuration, and the kernel image to the
# disk's DVH (with dvhtool).
# Reboot from disk

Thiemo