Re: usb and firewire performance on sgi O2

I have also run across at least one pci card that provides usb and sata.  I have purchased one for by Cobalt Qube but haven't gotten around to trying it out yet.

----- Original Message ----
From: Giuseppe Sacco <giuseppe@eppesuigoccas.homedns.org>
To: debian-mips@lists.debian.org
Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2007 1:07:59 AM
Subject: Re: usb and firewire performance on sgi O2

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 20:54:53 -0400
"J. Scott Kasten" <jscottkasten@yahoo.com> wrote:

> That's another good suggestion.  Right now we don't know exactly how much
> stuff works in the O2 PCI slot.  There's a lot that could be tried.  :)
>
> >From what I'm seeing in the linux-mips list, there's still some rough
> edges in DMA support and a few things that might impact some drivers, but
> a lot of stuff will likely "just work".

The was my original question: my O2 works well, but I need more storage (and probably more ram). Currently I have two internal disks of 18G in mirror (using LVM mirrors), but they are on the same SCSI bus and that is the problem since the bus speed is about 20Mb/s in total and will be shared by hard disk transfers.

Moreover I have a second network card that uses the only PCI slot of the O2. I may change it with a PCI card[0] that offer ethernet10/100/1000+USB2.0+firewire400, but I would like to know in advance if:
1. the usb and firewire are well supported
2. the usb and firewire transfer uses DMA
3. the usb and firewire connected disk speed
4. the PCI bus speed

I think I would change from internal SCSI to external USB or firewire only if speed is really better *and* CPU usage isn't worse.

I also read that USB interface require some sort of polling while probablu firewire is interrupt driver. Is this true?
Since the O2 CPU isn't that fast, I will probably prefer a firewire interface.

Bye,
Giuseppe

[0]http://www.lindy.com/uk/productfolder/07/70677/index.php