Re: usb and firewire performance on sgi O2

Hi, sorry for slow reply - I've been rebuilding boxes the last few days.

I can't tell you exact performance numbers, as I do not at this time have an external USB/FW hard disk. I might just borrow one from work and see
as I'm curious too.

What I can tell you is that I've burned lots of DVDs and CDs under USB 2.0 without issues. On R5K-180, I've burned DVD media in my 4x burner with reported data rates of 2.1x to 4.0x from growisofs. For CDs, I think it was in the range of 10-15x for RW and 15-20x for -R. So basically, the O2 is saturating the burner; this while running X with me doing interactive things like email or such on transparent mlterms. Min buffer fill was typically 92%.

R5K-200 is of course noticeably smoother while doing all this.  :)

I also have ripped video tracks from DVD with it using Mplayer's dumpstream feature. Again I've never timed it, but have no problems pulling off 1-2GB tracks in a few minutes.

I never did get back to playing with the firewire side of things.

If you're looking to slap on massive storage at cheap IDE prices, then USB on O2 seems like a legitimate option to me.

Regards,

-S-