Re: gcc/binutils related build failure on mips/mipsel - help needed

Oleksandr Moskalenko wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I really need help figuring out build failures on mips and mipsel of my
> package "scribus". The following build logs
>
> http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=scribus&ver=1.3.3.9.dfsg%2B20070716svn-1&arch=mips&stamp=1184647802&file=log
>
> http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=scribus&ver=1.3.3.9.dfsg%2B20070716svn-1&arch=mipsel&stamp=1184630047&file=log
>
> It could be helpful to know that a previous scribus upload failed on arm, but
> the latest one referenced above does not. People who looked at these logs seem
> to believe that there is a problem with gcc/binutils on mips/mipsel.
>
> The errors point to an assembler problem:
>
> Mips:
> /tmp/ccdvOQah.s: Assembler messages:
> /tmp/ccdvOQah.s:306415: Error: Branch out of range
> /tmp/ccdvOQah.s:306423: Error: Branch out of range
> /tmp/ccdvOQah.s:306434: Error: Branch out of range
> make[3]: *** [scribus/CMakeFiles/scribus.dir/fileloader.o] Error 1
>
> Mipsel:
> /tmp/cc3YMBA2.s: Assembler messages:
> /tmp/cc3YMBA2.s:306371: Error: Branch out of range
> /tmp/cc3YMBA2.s:306379: Error: Branch out of range
> /tmp/cc3YMBA2.s:306390: Error: Branch out of range
> make[3]: *** [scribus/CMakeFiles/scribus.dir/fileloader.o] Error 1

The same symptom used to happen some years ago due to a broken Gcc,
I'll have to have a look at the preprocessed files to figure out if
gcc or binutils is at fault. (I take it scribus doesn't use hand-written
mips assembler code).

Thiemo