Ethernet kernel modules for SGI O2

Hi,
now that I fixed the SGI machine, I am back to my original problem: I
was adding a second network card, an "Intel Corporation 82557/8/9
[Ethernet Pro 100]", on the PCI slot. The card is displayed by "lspci",
but the kernel module is missing. It seems that a lot ok kernel modules
for network adapter are missing for this port.

Is there any specific reason to not enable such drivers? May I just
rebuild the kernel, adding these modules?

Thanks,
Giuseppe