Re: Build fails on mips and mipsel

Hi Norbert,

On Tue, Dec 26, 2006 at 08:18:10PM +0100, Norbert Tretkowski wrote:
> building the latest upload of slrn fails on mips and mipsel, but not
> on any other arch.
>
> http://buildd.debian.org/build.php?arch=mips&pkg=slrn&ver=0.9.8.1pl1-23
> http://buildd.debian.org/build.php?arch=mipsel&pkg=slrn&ver=0.9.8.1pl1-23
>
> Why?

Isn't it obvious? From the mips log:

> Compilation of slrn complete.
> To copy it into your system, type "make install".
>
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/build/buildd/slrn-0.9.8.1pl1'
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/build/buildd/slrn-0.9.8.1pl1'
> touch build-stamp
> Detected your hostname compiled into a binary. That is a bug.

On my mips box (a fresh chroot installation, still need to setup the hostname)
it continues:

> touch build-stamp
> hostname: Unknown host
> dh_testdir
> dh_testroot
> dh_clean -k

Code from debian/rules:
> # Regression tests.
> test:
>         @if grep -i -q `hostname -f` src/slrn src/slrnpull; then \
>                 echo "Detected your hostname compiled into a binary. That is a bug." >&2; \
>                 grep -i `hostname -f` src/objs/* >&2; \
>                 exit 1; \
>         fi

This test may be a good idea but should never return an error. If the hostname
is short, it is very likely that a binary contains this name.

This build failure is that's why not related to the architecture but to the hostname.
It builds really fine on my mips box.

Jens