debian-mips 3.1on O2, arcboot: IO error, arcboot: no such device

Good evening all,

I'm trying to load debian (3.1R4) on an SGI O2 with 64MB.

The TFTP boot works like a charm, net install goes exactly as expected,
but after all is said and done, when I reboot and enter my 4
"setenv..." lines, I get the following error:

SCSI Hard Error on (0,1) unexpected bus free (hastat 0x13) --check
cabling
cbd: 12 0 0 0 1 0

<above line occurs 5 times, identical, then the next errors:>

Unable to execute scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(8)/arcboot:  IO error
Unable to load scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(8)/arcboot: no such
device.

I've done the load twice, just in case I typo'd somewhere, with the
exact same results.  My setenv lines were taken from the closing
instructions in the load and are as follows:

setenv SystemPartition scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(8)
setenv OSLoadPartition scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(0)
setenv OSLoader arcboot
setenv OSLoadFilename Linux

I found a website that suggested I use /dev/sda1 in place of the
scsi(....) line for OSLoadPartition, to no avail. (2nd line above)

My disk setup is "standard", ie: sda1=/, sda2=<swap>, sda9 & 11 were
generated by the SGI disklabel and I left them untouched.

ANY help would be appreciated so that I can get "Irwin" online.  ;-)

David