gcl and mips

Greetings!  And thanks with your helpful pointer on escher.

I am having some trouble with both gcl and gclcvs on mips.  I think
the new gcc (4.1) is the cause.  In the former, I cannot execute a
system() call in an image compiled with profiling (-pg) support.  In
the latter, I cannot link, getting an unsupported reloc error.  If you
recall, gclcvs had support for native object relocation via a builtin
libbfd -- has this been made obsolete by a subsequent binutils
release?  still, this error occurs before any such operation is
attempted.  Should I backoff to gcc 3.4?  Might you have a moment to
take a look?  And finally, is there any way to wake up the mips
autobuilders on gcl, which no longer build-depends on emacs, but which
appears in a perpetual dep-wait state nonetheless?

Many thanks,