Re: Etch running on an emulated DECstation

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 01:10:15PM +0200, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Michel Lespinasse <walken@zoy.org> [2006-09-05 03:07]:
> > * I see the Decstation 3max is listed as supported hardware at
> >   http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.mipsel/ch02s01.html
> >
> >   How much testing do Debian kernels get on such hardware ?
>
> Not much.  We asked for people to test and fix the kernel on such
> hardware and while some people were still interested in DECstation
> support not much came out of it in terms of help.  From my point of
> view, DECstation support will be dropped for etch. (Unless, of course,
> someone steps forward and fixes the kernel and tests the installer.)

I believe part of the problem is that people interested in mips hardware
tend to run the linux-mips tree. OTOH I do see why debian needs to run
all arches from the same tree, so...

My point of view is that I dont have much interest in DECstation hardware
in itself but it's nice to have one configuration that's supported both by
debian and by emulators so people without hardware access can start hacking.
In my case the motivation was to make a disk image I could move over to
a wgt634u (I know about your disk image, but I wanted to know how to
create my own :)

I'll try to patch the debian kernel with the linux-mips version of the dz
serial driver and see if it helps. If it does the trick I'll send you the
patch - otherwise I'm not sure I'll be able to do much more...

Cheers,

--
Michel "Walken" Lespinasse
"Bill Gates is a monocle and a Persian cat away from being the villain