Re: Debian on Asus wl500g

Jens Nachtigall wrote:
Hi,

I have an Asus wl500g deluxe (2 x USB2.0) running openwrt right now. Since I need some packages, which aren't in openwrt but in Debian, I would like to switch to Debian (already some other 'normal' machines running etch). I read that the new debian-installer is supposed to install on these broadcom boards and also read http://www.cyrius.com/debian/bcm947xx/wgt634u/ But I am not sure how to get Debian mipsel on this box.

Can you give me some pointers on how to install debian on it (this device does not have a cdrom ;-)

The first step is easy - download this file (it's listed on the page you gave):

wget http://people.debian.org/~tbm/bcm947xx/etch-base.tar.bz2

Download it, and then unpack on some external storage attached to your wl500g (usb-stick or usb-harddisk; theoretically it could be also network).

Then, do the magic:

chroot /unpacked/debian

And you can use apt-get, install packages, see how debian performs here.

Next, you'll have to install debian kernel somehow, it's best if you have a special serial cable which allows to connect to your asus thingy.

I have the same device, and I tried to boot OpenWRT kernel which will continue on debian partition, but somehow it didn't work.
I'm curious if one can buy a proper serial cable for these devices anywhere.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org