logging per serial cable on cobalt qube2

Hell, folks!

Sorry for this slightly off topic email, but at least it is about my Cobalt Qube2 again. My Qube is very unstable. I thought it were caused by flakey ram, but changing ram units does not change anything. About once a week my Qube2 stops silently w/o any interesting log entries. My idea now is to put a logging server next to the Qube2 and connect them with a serial cable. Maybe, the one important log message which tells me about the Qubes' desire just don't find its way to the hard drive...

My first naive idea was sth. like dd if=/dev/ttyS0 of=/tmp/qube.log, but dd has no clue about baud rates and stop bits and stuff like that. Could anyone give me a hint how to configure this?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Wolfgang