Re: disconnected drive: Data corruption using a 2.6 kernel

* Daniel Rheinbay <daniel_rheinbay@web.de> [2006-03-01 18:25]:
> on the external disk... While copying the data (>3 GByte) over the
> network (2.4 kernel), however, I received the same errors I got on the
> 2.6 kernel (from dmesg):

Hold on, do I understand you correctly - you're now getting the same
errors under 2.4 that you previously got with 2.6?  Why did this not
happen before?  Are you sure the drive is not damanged?  Can you try
with another one?

> WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured

So this is 2.4, not 2.6, right?

> "WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured"... I wonder why
> uhci was used in the first place? Given that it's a USB2 controller and
> a USB2 device? According to modprobe, ehci was loaded... as always.

I've heard some reports of problems with ehci, but it's strange that
you're gettin them with uhci.  There's one thing you could do:
temporarily move the uhci module from /lib/modules/... away, reboot
and see if it uses the ehci modules and whether that works.  And then
move the ehci module away and try the same with uhci.

Also, can you show me the output of:

lspci

> What should I do next? Just give the 2.6 a try, reformat the drive and
> see if the error is gone or what? Regarding the data, the loss of data
> means a little bit of work, but it's not like I'm storing essential data

No, please don't do that.  I doubt it'd make a difference.

> Or is my drive physically wrecked?

Do you have another drive you can test?  But you initially said that
2.4 was working fine.  From your current message it seems this is no
longer the case.  Can you confirm?

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/