Re: Howto compile 2.4.27 with USB and v4l

Jacob.Hooysma@ict.nl wrote:

> the only trouble I now have is that cannot compile my kernel it somehow
> allways stops in the driver section giving an error on the CD-ROM driver.

Is there a point to compiling CD-ROM support?  I'd take that out unless
you actually have a CD-ROM drive.

> Do I have do something special with the source for mips ?

Which sources are you using?  MIPS machines require sources based on
Linux/MIPS CVS[1].  Cobalt machines in addition, require additional
patches[2].

Kernel.org sources don't cut it, the MIPS-specific code they contain is
generally bitrotted to the point of being unusable.

I have a kernel config[3] for 2.6.13.1 which works fine... although it
doesn't have V4L or USB support.

You'll need to hunt around for some patches to make it work though.
Google should know where to find mist bits and pieces.

As for how to compile a kernel... if you're not familiar with MIPS, it's
slightly different to what you do on x86.  I have some docs here[4] for
doing so on Gentoo.  These instructions should be just as valid for
Debian -- just make sure you've got recent gcc and binutils installed,
and have your kernel sources handy.

The only thing that will be different, is that you can't rely on Portage
to pull down kernel sources and patch them for you -- however I'd be
surpised if there wasn't a source package available in Debian's
repository somewhere.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
--
 ____                   _             Stuart Longland (a.k.a Redhatter)
/  _ \   ___    ___  __| |__  __   __ Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs

1. http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/CVS
2. http://www.colonel-panic.org/cobalt-mips/
3. http://stuartl.longlandclan.hopto.org/gentoo/mips/kconfig.php/15
4. http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-mips.xml?part=1&chap=7