Re: rc2 install on ip22

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 12:26:50PM +0100, Florian Lohoff wrote:

> while installing with the rc2 install image i found this bug. Basically it makes it impossible
> to create an usable sgi disklabel.
[snip]
> Command (m for help): n
> Partition number (1-16): 1
> First cylinder (22-4336, default 22):
> Using default value 22
>  Last cylinder (22-4336, default 4336): 200
>
> Command (m for help): p
>
> Disk /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/disc (SGI disk label): 141 heads, 62 sectors, 1016 sUnits = cylinders of 2048 * 512 bytes
>
> ----- partitions -----
> Pt#                                   Device  Info     Start       End   Sectors  Id  Systm 1:
> /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part1  boot        22       200    366592  83  Linue 9:
> /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part2               0        21     43710   0  SGI r11:
> /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part3               0      4336   8881872   6  SGI e----- Bootinfo -----
> Bootfile: /unix
> ----- Directory Entries -----
>
> Command (m for help): n
> Partition number (1-16): 2
> First cylinder (22-21): 201
> Value out of range.
> First cylinder (22-21):
> Value out of range.
> First cylinder (22-21):
> Value out of range.
> First cylinder (22-21):
> Value out of range.
> First cylinder (22-21):
> Value out of range.
> First cylinder (22-21): 22
> 21Value out of range.
> First cylinder (22-21):
> Value out of range.
> First cylinder (22-21):

This is similar to my experiences a few days ago. Creating one
Linux partition worked, but on the attempt to create a second
one, I had exactly the same effect. After some tries with
deleting and recreating a (bigger) volume header, i finally
succeeded in creating all needed partitions. The number of blocks
for the originally created volume header was wrongly calculated,
but I still don't know what actually caused this.

Regards,
Karsten
--
#include <standard_disclaimer>