Re: Static builds of Mozilla failing on mips and mipsel

Eric Dorland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Looking at the latest buildd logs of firefox[0] on mips and mipsel I'm
> getting some linking errors. I've changed the compile of firefox to
> build as a static executable rather than dozens of XPCOM
> components.

Is it possible to revert that change (at least for mips/mipsel)?

> This seems to working on all arches except the
> mips. Anybody want to take a look? (Thiemo, you saved my bacon last
> time, I'm hoping you're still lurking around :))

Compiling those components in the executable let it grow over the 16k
globlal GOT symbols limit. Unfortunately, there's currently no way
around it, the xgot trick works only for shared libraries. (It would
work if we had xgot variants of the startup files, crt1.o, crtbegin.o,
etc. and the compiler/linker knew how to select them.)

This is the same bug which prevents the build of gcj and ghc.

Thiemo