Re: fsck runs everytime on reboot

Thiemo Seufer <ica2_ts@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de> writes:

> Gerald Waugh wrote:

> FWIW, I never saw that on any my big endian machines, except for broken/
> dejusted RTC. It also seems to work generally on little endian machines,
> including other cobalts.

>> > I see that to and haven't yet found a way to circumvent it. Debugging
>> > fsck seems to be in order.
>
> Does your xxs1500 have a battery-backed RTC? I don't remember.

When I compiled in RTC support the kernel would hang so I disabled it.

So every time I boot it is 1970. I tried running "date -s 'Thu 1 Oct
2004'" before the fsck to get near current time but it would still be
in the past. The fsck would still complain and run.

I suspect a signed/unsigned problem on a 32bit value. 49710 days is
just 6 3/4 hours short of 2^32 seconds.

I was thinking of adding a printf before the check saying what time it
is and what time the last fsck was.

>> I searched for an answer, and it seems as though it was a problem way back
>> in April of 2004.
>
> A workaround would be to get the date from network before the root fsck.

I think I tried that too. Can't remember now. Next time I boot I will
check.

> Thiemo

MfG
        Goswin