Re: new cobalt kernel junks...

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 03:40:04 +0200, Thiemo Seufer <ths@networkno.de> wrote:

>Harald Kapper wrote:
>> hi - just got this one:
>> kernel-image-2.4.27-r5k-cobalt_2.4.27-10.040815-1_mipsel.deb
>>
>> actually it worked on one box, another one
>
>Can you be more specific? Is this identical hardware, or different
>models?

hi,
it's running now on one RaQ2 without problems (though a modified osrelease would
help differentiate, as /proc/sys/kernel/osrealease only tells me
2.4.27-r5k-cobalt for all sub-releases).

another one booted without problems the very same kernel, but then lost
network-connectivity right after finishing booting...

I now tried to rebuild a new box using the image to start with:
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-mipsel/current/images/cobalt/nfsroot.tar.gz

colo loads, runs the setup, but after the first reboot when it comes to again
connection to apt via http or similar - network connectivity is plain lost -
pinging the box gives on a flawless swith 30+% loss and ping-times that should
run at 1-4 ms going up to 10 seconds... of course any further downloads fail...

>> with samba running made samba
>> coredump (it also uses md-devices) and loose network-connectivity - box is
>> running and doing well on serial, but the network is off..
>
>How many disks, how many network interfaces, network chip type(s)?
>Did it work with -8 and -9 before?

first box that failed has two 80 GB WD IDE disks, one tulip-dec-networkinterface
(RaQ2 hardware).
-8 and -9 worked before fine (where to get those again?)

the newly tested box has one 120 GB IDE disk, default RaQ2 hardware (one network
and thats it).

thanks for your help
harald kapper.