Re: Installing Debian on O2 HOWTO

On Apr 4, 2005 2:41 PM, Ladislav Michl <ladis@linux-mips.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 12:26:31PM -0400, Jiann-Ming Su wrote:
> > http://js1.kicks-ass.org/~js1/debianO2.html
>
> Few questions:
> * You are using arcboot, so why do you need at least 75MB volume header?

That's a good point.  I had problems earlier when it was installing
the ip22 arcboot, and I got some message saying not enough disk space.
 Plus, I got the 75MB value from the other Debian on MIPS sites
(linked in Martin's page).  But, now that you mention it, 75MB may be
overkill.  What do you recommend?

> * What is "SGI serial cable"? O2 has normal DB-9 connectors, so normal
>   crossover cable will work.

In my experience, a serial cable that would work on our other
networking gear (switches and routers) would not work on the SGI for
some reason.  But, when I used the SGI branded serial cable on the O2,
it works.  I've been told some Ciscos have similar issues with
non-Cisco branded serial cables.  Weird.

> * Not everyone lives in United States and doesn't need proxy ;-)

I didn't need a proxy, either...

> Good work otherwise.

Well, it wasn't that hard to cut and paste the serial console output,
plus I needed to document it for myself as I have a few O2 installs to
do.  Getting Linux to run on these O2s have given them new life.
Happy to share my (in)experiences.

--
Jiann-Ming Su