Re: Compiling Debian from source, with GCC 3.4.2

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> > Laurence Darby <ldarby@mips.com>  writes:
> >
> > It's my task to compile a complete Debian distribution from source. The
> > main goal is to test our version of the GCC compiler, SDE, which is based
> > on 3.4.2, and has more tuning/optimisations for the MIPS architecture. The
> > second goal is to be able to say: "Here is a Debian distribution, compiled
> > with our compiler, and look, it's smaller and faster". A third goal is
> > going to find every single package that wont compile out of the box.

> You are a bit late for some things. Debian amd64 already had a full
> sid archive compiled with gcc-3.4 for some time and many patches have
> been send to the BTS for it. Since some month the archive even uses
> gcc-4.0 and even more patches have been send.

In what way do you think I'm "late"?  Relative to the rest of Debian,
aren't you on the "bleeding edge"?  If someone in my position was trying
to use 3.4 before the amd64 port had, where would they look? Who would
they ask?  </rhetorical>

Anyway, thanks for letting me know about amd64. Tho it didn't really
answer my question - how do you use gcc-3.4, when all the packages
build-depend on gcc-3.3? What I mean is: Is there some indirection to
apply to apt-get/ dpkg-buildpackage, that will make it use a specified
$CC? Specifically, how did you override gcc-3.3 in libc6?

wrt c++, I'm guessing I'll have to go through each failed package, find
the patch and fix it.  That's tedious, so isn't there an easier way?

> But of cause that doesn't mean mips won't trigger some more bugs.

They'll be the ones I'm trying to find.  I'm hoping every package will
"make check" itself, and that that will find any compiler bugs, because I
haven't yet figured out a strategy for testing every single line of code
in Debian :)

Laurence

--
Laurence Darby

MIPS Technologies (UK)             The Fruit Farm
+44 (0)1223 706210                 Ely Road, Chittering
www.mips.com                       Cambs, CB5 9PH