Re: Debian in a Octane

Leopold Palomo Avellaneda wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first of all I'm sorry if they are stupid questions, but I would like to ask.
> In our lab there's a SGI Octane (IP30). I think that it's a very good box and
> I would like to install a Debian Sarge. I have searched on the web about the
> port, and I think that it's possible to install a linux.

Linux kernel support for the ip30 is ongoing work, Stanislaw Skowronek
has some experimental kernels for it. Don't expect it to work stable. :-)

> So, my questions are:
> it's posible to install a debian in a Octane?

It can be done, but only via netboot/NFSroot/debootstrap, not via the
normal installer.

> if yes,
> it's very different than a i386?

The installation is very different, but once set up it is just a Debian.

> Can I have a boot loader to chosee IRIX or Linux?

The SGI firmware can be told what to boot, 'sash' for IRIX and 'load64'
for Linux. The simplest way is to keep IRIX and Linux on separate disks.

> The box has an external cdrom (SCSI) and I don't have any experience in a SGI
> arch :-(

Sorry, there's no CD installable version yet.

Thiemo