Re: How to Install Debian Linux (MIPS) to SGI O2 ?

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 08:31:17AM +0100, Aku Orang Ipoh wrote:

> but I read at http://www.debian.org/ports/mips/  that
> the O2 R5000 are "EXPERIMENTAL without framebuffer".
> So I think that O2 can be install Debian Linux atleast
> untill text base. For me, I don't care whether it is

Unfortunately it cannot yet - at least not with
the Debian installer. The "Known problems" section from
which you are citing refers to Linux/MIPS in general
and does not mean that Debian already has a working
installer for the O2.

The Debian installer does not yet support O2 at all.
You could generally get a Debian system installed on
an O2, but you would have to do that by hand (using
NFSroot and debootstrap).

> without framebuffer or not, because I just want to do
> cluster with another SGI O2 (and setup some network
> server).
>
> If Debian Linux (MIPS) can be install to Indigo2/Indy,
> can you help me on how to install its....

For Debian 3.0, the last official release, you have to
boot the installer image (included on your CD) over TFTP
as described in

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/mips/ch-rescue-boot.en.html#s-boot-tftp

If you have a broadband connection, I propose to test the
current Debian installer beta version at

http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-mips/current/images/r4k-ip22/netboot-boot.img

instead and do a network install.

For the "usual caveats" regarding netbooting an Indy or I2, please
read http://www.linux-mips.org/technical_faq.html, in particular the
sections "My machine doesn't download the kernel when I try to
netboot", "The kernel download from the TFTP server stops and times
out" and "Bug in DHCP version 2".

HTH,
Karsten
--