Two append lines in arcboot.conf

Originally, I had the default arcboot.conf after a fresh install (using
Martin's image at http://www.cyrius.com/debian/o2/o2-boot.img (2004-12-20))
as follows:

label=linux
  image=/vmlinux
  append="root=/dev/sda1"

Now, wanting to set up X and fbdev, I added the folowing:

label=linux
  image=/vmlinux
  append="root=/dev/sda1"
  append="video=1024x768-16@60"

...and rebooted. Now, the boot stops with

UDF-fs: No partition found (1)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,0)

I guess, I shouldn't have put two append lines in arcboot.conf but I'm not sure.

Also, do I have to rerun arcboot (like LILO) to apply the changes in the arcboot.conf?

Is there a way to make this system bootable without reinstall?

Jozsef