From: jannetta@henning.org [mailto:jannetta@henning.org]
Sent: Saturday, September 18, 2004 8:30 PM
To: debian-mips@lists.debian.org
Subject: installing on an indy

Hi Folks!

I have just been given an Indy and a Challenge, by the college I work for.
They were throwing the machines out and I managed to convince them to
throw them my way. However, unfortunately I seem to be to late to prevent
them from throwing out the system CDs. So, I decided I'll put Linux on the
machines. I have started with the Indy, but I didn't get very far. I
downloaded the Debian distribution and made the CDs, but I can't get the
Indy to boot from the first CD. This is what happens:

I boot the system.
Click on Stop for Maintenance
Click on Install System Software
Select the CD-ROM and Continue
Then I get an error: Volume header not valid.

Am I going about this process completely incorrectly? The CD seems to be
perfectly readable. Although I don't have root access to the Indy, I did
manage to get access as a normal user, so I could look at the CD. I have
looked at the installation guides, but I can't find much in terms of
installing with CDs. The system does not have a floppy drive - the other
option in the documentation being floppy and tftp.

(This is my first experience with SGI machines, so please excuse any
ignorance on my part)

Can anyone give some guidance? I will really appreciate it.

Many thanks
Jannetta