Re: Installing Debian on a Qube 1

* Christoph Pfisterer <cp@chrisp.de> [2004-09-17 08:47]:
> What stumbles me is that CoLo doesn't seem to load the file
> default.colo from the NFS server.

Did you tell your DHCP server that it should serve default.colo by
default (filename "default.colo";)?

> By the way, with the CoLo version included in the rc1 nfsroot, the
> machine hangs displaying "Booting..."/"32,0>32" (or similar, I'm
> typing from memory), without displaying the boot menu.

This is to be expected since that version of CoLo will try to output
things on the serial console which'll probably crash your machine.

> Anyway, Martin mentioned SSH support might be added if there is
> demand for it. Count me in. :-)

It's probably not going to happen because it requires quite a bit of
work to provide SSH-only support and so far Cobalt seems to be the
only use for this.

> Another thought I had this morning: Would it be possible for someone
> to post a hard disk image (.tar.gz or dd) of a freshly installed
> Cobalt machine with the following properties:

Yes, this is possible.  I can try to prepare such a .tar.gz file in
about 2 weeks if you want (I'm busy until then).  However, Gerald
Waugh tried something similar and the machine would still not boot
fully.  Apparently something still outputs something to the serial
console or causes a crash through some other way but he never found
out what it was.  If you're happy to do some debugging (which will
involve putting the hard drive in some random PC, changing stuff,
puttig it in the Cobalt, trying to boot, and then repeating this), I
can supply some system in about 2 weeks.

> I think I could handle partitioning and formatting the hard disk the
> proper way from a PC, then put it into my Qube and boot from disk.
> Did I understand correctly that the built-in firmware can load CoLo
> from a old-style ext2 filesystem on /dev/hda1?

Yes.
--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com