getting sound to work

I just installed the 2.4.27 kernel image from unstable (after giving up for now on compiling my own kernel), so now, in theory, I should be able to get sound working on my Qube. I am using an es1370 card and mpd to give it something to do, but no sound is coming out. lsmod returns this:

qube:/etc/default# lsmod
nfs                    93520   1  (autoclean)
lockd                  65232   1  (autoclean) [nfs]
sunrpc                 83072   1  (autoclean) [nfs lockd]
es1370                 37856   1
ide-cd                 33648   0
cdrom 32208 0 [ide-cd] ... so it is being detected and the module is loading. I set /dev/dsp and /dev/audio to chmod 666. When I start a stream through mpd, I can see from the Tx/Rx light that data are coming across, so this is purely a sound issue. When I installed mpd, a large number of sound-related packages were pulled in. Is there anything else I should be checking? (I tried a different card known to be good, an es1371, and that didn't work either.) Has anybody actually made sound come out of a Qube, and if so, can you describe how you did it?

Thanks,
David Robinson