Sarge.tgz Installer Strangeness RaQ2

We have been attempting to install the Sarge.tgz on a RaQ2 with Martin's
how-to.

We tried stable, but must not be a port yet, we tried testing but it
wouldn't recognize the whole drive nor did it include the auto-partition
tool. We are using unstable as the preferred build.

We ran into one problem that was our fault, turns out we had a bad hard
drive that finally failed (after 2 hours of re-attempts).

We loaded a new 40 gig drive that was unformatted. For some reason the
auto-partition feature will hang on the / partition formatting. Sometimes it
would show 100% and yet the front LED would still be lit on the disk light.
Other times it would show 0% with no HD activity.

We attempted to do a manual partition but when we finished with our
partition settings, the installer never gave a continue method to start the
process, it would keep re-looping us to guide or help with the partition.

On the last attempt, the drive size was listed as 2.4 TB!!! Be nice if the
installer was magically creating larger drives ;)

Also when using minicom we would at times get a lot of garbled output, when
using screen seemed to be the same thing.

We are using a Debian Woody server as the source server, with 2.2* something
kernel (it's and older development box we had handy).

Any ideas or work arounds or suggestions. I have read the MIPS list 3 times
over on all RaQ2 related posts as well as Googled this out but after 100+
emails and lots of coffee and extended hours on this I am at a blur so
pardon my rambles.

Thanks, can't wait to get this raq'en :)
--
David Thurman
The Web Presence Group