Re: Very slow SCSI throughput on Indy R4600

Thibaut VARENE wrote:
I've been trying several 2.4 debian kernels on my Indy (R4600), but I still experience very slow SCSI throughput:

/dev/sda3:
 Timing buffered disk reads:    8 MB in  3.42 seconds =   2.34 MB/sec

 Hello Thibaut,

 I own an indigo2 and also have poor hd performances:

---
mood-indigo:~# hdparm -tT /dev/sda1

/dev/sda1:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   104 MB in  2.08 seconds =  50.00 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:    8 MB in  3.18 seconds =   2.52 MB/sec
---

I have to confess I use an IDE HD behind an SCSI to IDE adapter, so this is not the very same setup than yours.

I'm trying to rebuild a 2.6 cvs kernel to see if that corrects the problem (first attempt led me to a "no init found" error).

 I think 2.6 does not boot on IP22 for now.

Here's the box cpuinfo:
[snip]

 My box has slightly lower bogomips (74.75).

and the dmesg excerpt:
[snip]

 Mine is very similar (same controller, same revisions)

 Different systems, same SCSI controllers and same I/O performances.

Thibaut VARENE
The PA/Linux ESIEE Team

 Conïncidence : I graduated from that school too.

 Regards,

--
Vincent Stehlé