building 64-bit binaries.

I'd like to generate 64-bit static MIPS binaries (for use in an
architecture simulator, eventually) and run them on my machine (an Indy)
for testing.  I just installed Debian/MIPS/unstable, using the suggestion
that appeared earlier on this list to install the 2.4.22 kernel before
doing the stable->unstable upgrade. [I'll chime in here that it certainly
wouldn't hurt to make the libc message a little more explicit, since the
consequences up attempting the upgrade with the stock woody kernel are
dire.]

My question is: does debian already have 64-bit gcc/libraries packaged?
Will the stock debian kernel (mips32) run 64-bit binaries?  Or do I have
to build a mips64 kernel (and has someone packaged such a thing)?  And,
just to double-check: the mips64 kernel will run mips32 binaries, right?

[A little off-topic, but related: are there packaged MIPS kernels with XFS
support, so I can see the IRIX side of my disk, or do I have to build this
myself?  And could someone give me brief pointers on how to build a kernel
with the kernel-patch-mips package?  Do I just
   make-kpkg --added-patches=mips ...
or some such?]

Thanks!
 --scott

Israel Mk 48 genetic RUCKUS explosives Yeltsin PLO operation bomb
D5 SLBM plutonium Attache Sudan North Korea SSBN 731 pending Hawk
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )