Re: Indy gets tftpboot.img but doesn't boot

John Fry <john+debian@johnfry.org> writes:

> I'm hoping to install woody on an Indy (IP22, 150MHz R5000).
>
> I followed the HowTo at
> http://www.linux-debian.de/howto/debian-mips-woody-install.html
>
> Right now I'm at the point where the Indy is getting tftpboot.img from
> the dhcp server:
>
> >>bootp()/boot/tftpboot.img
> Obtaining /boot/tftpboot.img from server
> 2027520+1762928+95120 entry: 0x8800246c
>
> Then the indy just freezes.  Any suggestions?

Thanks to Alex Dawson and Karsten Merker for their tips.  I also found
useful info at http://jobe.ca/?a=indy

In fact, I have two Indys.  The first one's video card is reported as
"Indy 24-bit".  On this one, the woody install went flawlessly,
working exactly as decribed in the howto.

The second Indy's video card is "GR3-X2".  This is the one that
produced the error above.  I assume the video card is the culprit.

If I understand correctly, I could in principle boot that Indy in
serial console mode and install Debian on it.  However, I imagine that
XFree86 would not work on it because the video card is not supported.
Does that sound right?

Best regards,

John