Re: Problems building MIPS kernel

On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 01:18:34PM +1000, Stuart Longland wrote:
> going properly.  However, I still lack support for vino, which is one of
> the prime motivators for getting the machine in the first place.  When I
Start hacking. The vino isn't complete yet, see:
 http://www.linux-mips.org/~ladis/vino/vino.html

> 	The kernel image for 2.4.19 came with the config, so this is what I
> used, just modified it using make menuconfig and tried compiling it.
> The kernel image did not come with source code however, so I unpacked a
> version of Linux 2.4.19 that I had downloaded from kernel.org.  It got
> right to the end and coughed up an error.        (See kernel-error-2.4.19)
Vanilla 2.4.19 won't work. Get 2.4.19 kernel-patch-2.4.19-mips from
the debian archive, or...

> 	Thinking it may have been a bug that has been corrected, I tried to
> compile Linux 2.4.20.  I copied the .config from 2.4.19 and did a make
> oldconfig.  Compiling here also failed, coughing an error part way
> through.  (See kernel-error-2.4.20)
...check out 2.4.20 from linux-mips.org cvs, use the tag linux_2_4.

> 	I noticed that there was a version of the Linux kernel on the
> linux-mips.org website.  Figuring that this may have a corrected version
> of the kernel source, I downloaded it (via CVS) copied my .config and
> re-ran make oldconfig again.  This also failed to compile, coughing up
> an error fairly early in the piece.  (See kernel-error-2.5.47)
2.5 is currently a bit rough on mips to say the least. If you want it
running you've got to fix the errors you're seeing.
Regards,
 -- Guido