From: "Chris Plummer" <ebay.plummer@sun.com>
To: "mahmut aydoðmuþ" <mtaydogmus@hotmail.com>
Cc: <debian-mips@lists.debian.org>; "benyates3" <benyates3@comcast.net>;
"tarikul_islam" <tarikul_islam@hotmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 3:40 AM
Subject: Re: Installation to SGI Indigo 2, boot?

"http://lists.debian.org/debian-mips/2003/debian-mips-200303/threads.html";.
> This is the approach I was going to take, but I had a bit of trouble
> early on and opted for (2) instead.
>
> In all 3 cases above, you'll need to use the serial console during the
> installation. This is something I've never done. I think you set the
> baud rate from the Indigo Command Monitor and you will also need to set
> the PROM to use the serial console instead of by setting the "console"
> environment variable, although it may default to the serial console if
> no keyboard is plugged in (I recall reading this somewhere).
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Chris
>
> > <?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" />
> >
> > We are a group of student in University of Baltimore, Maryland trying to
install Linux for MIPS on SGI Indigo2 machines, currently
> > running IRIX version 5.2 OS. The hardware specifications for these
machines are as follows:

> > Hard drive: 1.0 GB
> >
> > MIPS R4400
> >
> > 64 MB RAM
> >
> > CPU at 200 MHz
> >

> > These machines are not connected to a network, so we chose to install
from CD, and downloaded the CD images from
> > http://us.cdimage.debian.org/jigdo-area/3.0_r1/jigdo/mips/. We then
followed the installation instructions that are available at
> > http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/mips/install for this specific
MIPS version. However, despite our heartiest effort, we could not
> > boot the system from CD to start the installation process. We also
prepared a boot disk as instructed in debian linux installation manuals
> > but again we failed. We believe part of the problem is that we are not
familiar enough with the IRIX operating system to deal with the
> > problem neither we are very experienced UNIX system administrators but
we need to get this project done and we are eager to learn
> > more. So please help us to move a step further, to be more specific if
you can tell us how to boot the system from either floppy or the