Install but not boot from local disk or bootp

I hace sucessfully installed debian on my indy however I cannot boot from
the prom from the disk, I assume that I was unable to install the
bootloader on the sgi disklabel, and the sash can't boot the ext3-fs.. I
have tried to boot from bootp but it doesn't do it and the bootpd claims
this:
bootpd: error(3):  ioctl SIOCSARP: Invalid argument
and it doesn't see the file, do I have a problem with the kernel on my
linux box? ..
the /etc/bootptab file is here:
       allhost:hd=/tftpboot:\
             :ds=10.0.0.1:\