Re: Indy R5k - install, but no boot

Hi,

Charles-Eloi wrote:

>     It seem that the kernel doen't find your root
>partition like /dev/sda1 or /dev/sdb2.  Check your
>nvram settting about the booting partition.
>ex.:
>setenv OSLoadPartition /dev/sda(x)  /* where x is the
>linux partition */

OSLoadPartition=/dev/sda1

>setenv SystemPartition scsi(0)disk(y)partition(z) /*
>where y is the disk on which you have your system root
>1 is sda and 2 is sdb,  z is the SGI irix style
>partition name when you prepared your disk for
>installation... 1 or 2 or 3, up to 7 don't give 8 or
>10 which are volhdr  and volume partition */

Well, according to Guido's mini-howto,

SystemPartition=scsi(0)disk(1)partition(8)

should be OK. It outright refuses to boot with

SystemPartition=scsi(0)disk(1)partition(0)
or
SystemPartition=scsi(0)disk(1)partition(1)

with the message that there's no recognizable filesystem on it.
My SGI disklabel is almost the same as in Guido's example:

Device  Info      Start       End   Sectors  Id  System

        /dev/sda1  boot         5       900   3721984  83  Linux native
        /dev/sda2  swap       901      1016    481864  83  Linux native
        /dev/sda9               0         4     20770   0  SGI volhdr
        /dev/sda11              0      1016   4224618   6  SGI volume

I can not remember if the SGI volume was sda11 or sda10, though. Well,
as I just came home from a lenghty bug-squashing session at work, I'll
go to bed now, will post dvhtool output tomorrow. I left the Irix kernel,
sash and other stuff in the volhdr. Could that be a problem? Should I
re-start with an empty SGI label?

TIA,
Uli
--
Dipl. Inf. Ulrich Teichert|e-mail: Ulrich.Teichert@gmx.de
Stormweg 24               |listening to: Noticable One (Rotten Apples)