Indy R5k - install, but no boot

Hi,

I recently acquired a SGI Indy R5k with 160 MB RAM, Indy 8bit GFX,
Indycam, 2G disk and some other goodies. The debian 3.0.1 install
went OK with tftp booting and NFS-mounted base install. I had to
extend the existing volume header, else dvhtool was complaining
that there wasn't enough space, and rightly so. So far I could
tell, it copied the right kernel into it afterwards. The only
thing which was suspect to me was that I couldn't access my CDROM
(Plextor 32Tsi), even after loading the module. The SGI boot ROM
saw it alright, under Linux it was listed under /proc/scsi but
I could not mount anything (device not available).

On reboot, I set the suggested NVRAM variables and the Linux kernel
boots... and then comes a nice kernel panic as it tries to
start init. Does that mean it could not mount the root-fs? Or does
the installation kernel differ from the written one?

Or am I just stupid?

Puzzled,
Uli
--
Dipl. Inf. Ulrich Teichert|e-mail: Ulrich.Teichert@gmx.de
Stormweg 24               |listening to: Noticable One (Rotten Apples)