Re: Debian MIPS port

On 10/02/2003 12:40:14 AM ZE2 Guido Guenther wrote:

>On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 12:04:35AM +0200, Christian Groessler wrote:
>> I had 3.0 installed on a DECstation 5000/240, it worked fine. I now
>> tried to update to unstable and after upgrading glibc most programs
>> die with an invalid instruction. Here's the output from the install:
>Upgrade to the 2.4.19 package in unstable or backport the fixes from
>there into your kernel tree.

Thanks. This worked.

But what's still not working is emacs. If start it as X window (no -nw
parameter) it gives an illegal instruction error.

[mips:~]$ emacs
Fatal error (4).Illegal instruction
[mips:~]$ gdb emacs
GNU gdb 5.3.90_2003-08-24-cvs-debian
This GDB was configured as "mipsel-linux"...(no debugging symbols found)...
(gdb) r
Starting program: /usr/bin/emacs
(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
(no debugging symbols found)...
Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
warning: Warning: GDB can't find the start of the function at 0x7fff304c.

    GDB is unable to find the start of the function at 0x7fff304c
and thus can't determine the size of that function's stack frame.
This means that GDB may be unable to access that stack frame, or
the frames below it.
    This problem is most likely caused by an invalid program counter or
stack pointer.
    However, if you think GDB should simply search farther back
from 0x7fff304c for code which looks like the beginning of a
function, you can increase the range of the search using the `set
heuristic-fence-post' command.
0x7fff304c in ?? ()
(gdb) x/2i $pc
0x7fff304c:     syscall
0x7fff3050:     li      v0,4119
(gdb) x/4xb $pc
0x7fff304c:     0x0c    0x00    0x00    0x00
(gdb) bt
#0  0x7fff304c in ?? ()
warning: Warning: GDB can't find the start of the function at 0x7fff3048.
(gdb)

Is this still a problem of my kernel (I took vanilla 2.4.19 and
patched it with the debian patches from
kernel-patch-2.4.19-mips-2.4.19), or is something wrong with emacs?
The other programs I've tried work.

regards,
chris