Re: Making screens smaller

Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-05-16 17:58:07 -0400, CMSFOO@aol.com <CMSFOO@aol.com>
> wrote in message <[🔎] ba.3ec23d50.2bf6b8ef@aol.com>:
>
>>I want to make my screen smaller and dont know how.
>

> A saw might help there...
>
> MfG, JBG

Hmmmm, that might help.  You could use an axe.  :-P  Then again, cutting
the screen to size like this might get to be an expensive exercise,
since it renders the monitor useless.

I presume you mean make the screen smaller by adjusting the resolution
though.  It helps to be more specific. ;-)

Is that smaller as in shrink the size of everything - increase
resolution or reduce the resolution - enlarge the size of everything.

You can try adjusting the /etc/X11/XF86Config, but I think you'll find
the screen resolution is decided by the PROM at startup, so you'll have
to enter a command into the PROM shell to set the resolution.

In the output of dmesg, you can usually determine what resolution you're
running, I think the line starts with NG1, so you could use:

$ dmesg | grep NG1

to find it.

I use this to dynamically set the resolution in my XFree86 configuration
since we have two monitors, a 20" CRT, and a 15" LCD.  When the LCD
monitor is connected, the PROM detects this and sets the resolution to
1024x768 (the LCD monitor's native resolution), if it's not, and the 20"
monitor is connected, it defaults to 1280x1024.  So I made a script that
changes the relevant lines in my X configuration when GDM is executed.

As far as the commands you need to set the resolution, I believe it was
mentioned in the list somewhere, but yeah, I wouldn't have a clue.  (on
a 20", 1280x1024 is quite reasonable)

Anyone? Help?
- --
| Stuart Longland           stuartl at longlandclan.hopto.org |
| Brisbane Mesh Node: 719             http://stuartl.cjb.net/ |
| I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on a tape somewhere |
| Griffith Student No:           Course: Bachelor/IT @ Nathan |