Re: Problems building MIPS kernel

On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 01:18:34PM +1000, Stuart Longland wrote:

> 	These last few days, I've been quite happy, having got a small
> 	Gateway
> Micro Server and a SGI Indy running Debian 3.0.  However, when building
> a kernel on these two machines, I've stuck all sorts of problems.
[SNIP]
> 	The kernel image for 2.4.19 came with the config, so this is what I
> used, just modified it using make menuconfig and tried compiling it.
> The kernel image did not come with source code however, so I unpacked a

The mips kernel packages in Debian are created from the
kernel-patch-<version>-mips packages.

> version of Linux 2.4.19 that I had downloaded from kernel.org.  It got

This cannot work - the kernel.org sources do not contain all Linux/MIPS
patches. The official source for Linux/MIPS kernels is the cvs at
cvs.linux-mips.org.

> 	Thinking it may have been a bug that has been corrected, I tried to
> compile Linux 2.4.20.  I copied the .config from 2.4.19 and did a make
> oldconfig.  Compiling here also failed, coughing an error part way
> through.  (See kernel-error-2.4.20)

Same applies here. Try a current CVS checkout of the kernel 2.4 tree:

cvs -z4 -d :pserver:cvs@cvs.linux-mips.org:/home/cvs co -rlinux_2_4 linux

> 	I noticed that there was a version of the Linux kernel on the
> linux-mips.org website.  Figuring that this may have a corrected version
> of the kernel source, I downloaded it (via CVS) copied my .config and
> re-ran make oldconfig again.  This also failed to compile, coughing up
> an error fairly early in the piece.  (See kernel-error-2.5.47)
                                                         ^^^^^^
This is 2.5, i.e. a developer / experimental kernel - expect it to be
broken :-).

> 	I've had equal problems compiling on a Gateway Micro Server (aka
> 	Cobalt
> Qube) which uses a little-endian MIPS (as opposed to the Indy's
> big-endian MIPS R4600).  Is it just me, or is compiling Linux for MIPS a
> black art?

The Cobalt systems are are matter on their own. The Cobalt support in
Linux/MIPS is still far from "production quality", you might need to apply a
bunch of patches floating around on the Linux/MIPS mailinglist, so sometimes
this might indeed look like black art :-).

HTH,
Karsten
--
#include <standard_disclaimer>