not much success with kernel builds

Hi all.  I'm having a terrible time getting a working kernel to build on
my Indigo2 running sid.  I'm using an up to date (as of last night)
kernel 2.4 source tree from cvs.linux-mips.org.

I'm using gcc 3.2, so the -mcpu option doesn't work at all.  -march and
-mips2 are mutually exclusive, so I've tried each of them separately,
but neither seemed to make a difference.  The build failed with the
following output (lines wrapped by me):

gcc -D__ASSEMBLY__ -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-cvs/linux/include \
    -I /usr/src/linux-cvs/linux/include/asm/gcc -G 0 -mno-abicalls \
    -fno-pic -pipe -mips2 -Wa,--trap   -c -o scall_o32.o scall_o32.S
scall_o32.S: Assembler messages:
scall_o32.S:305: Error: Can not represent BFD_RELOC_16_PCREL_S2 relocation
in this object file format
make[2]: *** [scall_o32.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-cvs/linux/arch/mips/kernel'

Now, that's not the only problem.  But it's the one that I have the best
information on.  I have different problems if Indigo2 EISA bus support
is compiled in, though that's less critical to me.

Also, the most recent 2.4 kernels that I have been able to build paniced
when booting.  I haven't been able to hook up another machine to the
serial port and capture the boot messages, but I can say that it happens
somewhere in the SCSI initialization.  If I can get my current source
tree to build, I'll see what I can do about getting more info here.

If anybody can help me get these problems sorted out, I'd be quite
grateful.

noah