Re: Indy R5k - install, but no boot

>On reboot, I set the suggested NVRAM variables and
>the Linux kernel
>boots... and then comes a nice kernel panic as it
>tries to
>start init. Does that mean it could not mount the
>root-fs? Or does
>the installation kernel differ from the written one?

>Or am I just stupid?

Hi,
     It seem that the kernel doen't find your root
partition like /dev/sda1 or /dev/sdb2.  Check your
nvram settting about the booting partition.
ex.:
setenv OSLoadPartition /dev/sda(x)  /* where x is the
linux partition */

setenv SystemPartition scsi(0)disk(y)partition(z) /*
where y is the disk on which you have your system root
1 is sda and 2 is sdb,  z is the SGI irix style
partition name when you prepared your disk for
installation... 1 or 2 or 3, up to 7 don't give 8 or
10 which are volhdr  and volume partition */

For the Cdrom, i don't know, but ftp is definitly the
way to install....

Good luck !

ps.: By the way, you are not stupid...you are
learning...out of the easy "intel way" and out there,
nothing is the same.  Welcome in the real world Neo...

                             Charles-Eloi  ;-)

Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
magasinage.yahoo.ca